Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Crews begin removing debris amid ongoing search for worker trapped after Kentucky mine collapse -VisionFunds
Will Sage Astor-Crews begin removing debris amid ongoing search for worker trapped after Kentucky mine collapse
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:20:04
Crews began the arduous process of removing layers of rubble and Will Sage Astordebris in the search for a missing worker Thursday at a collapsed coal mine preparation plant in eastern Kentucky where a second worker died.
The 11-story abandoned building crashed down Tuesday night at the Martin Mine Prep Plant in Martin County while it was undergoing work toward its demolition. Officials briefly made contact with one of the two men working inside, but announced Wednesday he died amid rescue efforts. Authorities said Thursday they have not had any communication with the second worker since the building collapsed at around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Inez, a town of about 500 people.
“We haven’t given up hope,” Martin County Judge Executive Lon Lafferty said at a news conference with reporters Thursday.
Lafferty said a family member of the deceased man was at the site before he died and was able to speak with him. Crews have located his remains, but have not yet been able to remove them.
Lafferty said the process has taken a mental and physical toll on rescue workers, calling them “the most mentally strong and emotionally strong people, the bravest people” he’s ever known.
“To go underneath a structure like that and risk your own life to try to secure someone else’s life I think is one of the greatest attributes of the human spirit,” he said, adding: “You can’t be involved in something like this and not have emotions about it.”
Crews have delved under layers of steel and concrete with search dogs and listening devices, he said. In the second full day of rescue efforts, officials are removing the debris into smaller piles for the search.
Heavy equipment is being hauled to Inez from across Kentucky and out-of-state to help with the efforts. Louisville Metro Emergency Services Director Jody Meiman said some began arriving on the site Wednesday night. Search groups have been assigned to comb through rubble as it is removed.
“It’s a very methodical process, it’s a very slow process, but it’s a process that has to take place in order to get down into the building in where that last known location was,” he said.
He said responders were being rotated in shifts. Meiman said the building moved several times Wednesday.
“It is dangerous. It continues to be dangerous,” he said.
Director of Kentucky Emergency Management Col. Jeremy Slinker said rescuers worked throughout Wednesday night without breaks. Slinker estimated that up to 50 rescue workers and 25 support personnel at a time were involved in the search.
“We’re planning it out for a long operation and what we hope is we have some happy success really quick,” he said.
Several state agencies have begun investigations into the collapse and possible causes, including Kentucky state police.
The Kentucky Division of Occupational Safety and Health Compliance said one of its officers was on site and that an inspection had been opened with Lexington Coal Company LLC, which had contracted with Skeens Enterprises LLC for site demolition and salvage operations.
The division said the investigation could take up to six months to complete.
President Lyndon Johnson visited Inez during his “War On Poverty” in 1964.
In 2000, a coal-sludge impoundment in Inez collapsed, sending an estimated 300 million gallons into the Big Sandy River and its tributaries. A byproduct of purifying coal, the sludge oozed into yards and streams for miles in what was considered one of the South’s worst environmental disasters at the time.
veryGood! (944)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Emily Deschanel on 'uncomfortable' and 'lovely' parts of rewatching 'Bones'
- JD Souther, a singer-songwriter who penned hits for the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt, dies at 78
- Lin-Manuel Miranda and Eisa Davis on their ‘Warriors’ musical concept album with Lauryn Hill
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- The Daily Money: Look out for falling interest rates
- Honolulu Police Department is adding dozens of extra police officers to westside patrols
- Bachelorette: Jenn Tran's Ex Devin Strader Was Arrested, Had Restraining Order From Ex-Girlfriend in Past
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- FBI investigates suspicious packages sent to election officials in multiple states
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- NASA plans for launch of Europa Clipper: What to know about craft's search for life
- Florence Pugh Confirms New Relationship 2 Years After Zach Braff Split
- A Dangerous Chemical Is Fouling Niagara Falls’ Air. New York State Hasn’t Put a Stop to It
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Dancing With the Stars' Brooks Nader Reveals Relationship Status During Debut With Gleb Savchenko
- WNBA awards Portland an expansion franchise that will begin play in 2026
- Couple rescued by restaurant staff after driving into water at South Carolina marina
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Eric Roberts makes 'public apology' to sister Julia Roberts in new memoir: Report
Sean “Diddy” Combs Arrest: Lawyer Says He’s in “Treatment and Therapy” Amid Sex Trafficking Charges
Sean Diddy Combs Denied $50 Million Bond Proposal to Get Out of Jail After Sex Trafficking Arrest
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Iconic Tupperware Brands seeks Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Amazon announces dates for its October Prime Day sales
Boar's Head to 'permanently discontinue' liverwurst after fatal listeria outbreak